Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fresh Black Beans

Run out and buy a pressure-cooker. Right now. It is by far one of the best money-saving ideas for vegetarian meals. I have tried for years to cook using dried beans with no real success. Then my dad got engaged to a woman who held all the secrets I had been waiting years for. Well, one secret: pressure-cook them! I have even made chicken noodle soup for a sick family from SCRATCH using the pressure-cooker. Beans usually take an hour max and are extremely simple. I start my pressure cooker and then move on to the other items on my menu and before I know it, they're done!
Here are the tricks:

Black Beans in a Pressure-Cooker

3 cups black beans, rinsed and picked over
1/4 cup lime juice
1 T salt

1. Place beans in cooker and cover with water until there twice as much water as beans. Seal lid and cook over high heat until the wobbler-thing starts to hiss.
2. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking for about 45 minutes.
3. Remove entire pot to sink and spray with cold water until the pressure indicator releases. Remove wobbler-thing and open pot. Test beans; they should be intact but easy to smash. The best way is to chew one. If their equine more cooking, just place lid back on and return to heat.
4. Once finished, drain off a small portion of the water so the beans are covered in liquid but are quite visible. Add lime juice and salt. Serve.

LEFTOVER ALERT!! Save up to 2 cups of beans for my Tortilla Soup recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment