Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pico de Gallo


Of all my recipes I have been most proud of this one. It has changed over the years and I never measure  the ingredients so it is a little different every time. I am not proud to say that this has caused marital disagreements in my friends but is by far my most requested recipe.

4 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion
1-2 jalapeños
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups V8 juice (Low-Sodium, Regular, or Spicy)
juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt depending on V8
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp granulated garlic (NOT garlic salt)

1. Wash all vegetables. Cut tomatoes by first slicing in half lengthwise, removing the inner seeds and juices, and dicing evenly. Add to bowl



2. Dice 1/2 onion finely and add. Prepare jalapeños the same way as tomatoes above but leave seeds remaining for more heat if desired and add to bowl. Chop cilantro, measuring about 1/2 cup and add to bowl.
TRICK-Here's a cilantro chopping trick I learned from my cousin, Amy, and improved upon slightly:
   a. Wash cilantro well
   b. Cut off stems in one chop
   c. Add leafy parts of cilantro to a wide-mouthed but shallow cup. Using scissors, cut up cilantro.
   d. Fill cup with water...as it fills, the stems will float to the top and you can remove them.
   e. Drain water and scoop cilantro out with a dry paper towel.

3. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir. Leave at room temperature to heighten flavors, but store in refrigerate for up to 3 days.

4. Be prepared to get addicted.

1 comment:

  1. Yummmm, I could go for some of this right now! On the relaxation station in Alabama, preferably...

    ReplyDelete